I’m sort of disaster-prone. Not in only in the sense of “Oh, I tripped and fell,” (although, that too), but also in the snag your tights, stain your shirt kind of way. A full-time big girl job has required that I pretty much look presentable for 12 hours straight, and sometimes my social life post-work warrants even longer.
After my first few mishaps earlier this year (one involving an entire cup of coffee), it was clear that I needed some sort of emergency stash to carry around with me. Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this adorable Pamela Barsky bag (1) at Artists and Fleas in Brooklyn the next weekend, and decided to turn it into my own little kit. Here’s what I make sure is always stocked in there–and yes, this ALL fits!
2. Roller ball perfume: These little tubes are small, easy and perfect for a scent touch-up before heading out to drinks. Mine’s Twirl, by Kate Spade.
3. Mini hairspray: We all know hairspray is great for taming a rouge flyaway, but it also works wonders for static. I use it on dresses that have justtttt a bit too much cling, if you know what I mean. My current pick doing double-duty: L’Oreal Elnett, after being recommended by so many of you here!
4. Multi-use makeup: I’m not a fan of carrying around a stockpile of makeup–it’s heavy, and more often than not, it gets ruined. I do, however, like to keep a mini bottle of Benetint in my kit…it doubles as both a lip tint and cheek tint and somehow magically pulls you together at the end of a workday if need be.
5. Hanky Panky pair: Let’s get real here: we’ve all had those days where you don’t realize your skirt/dress/pants are see-through–until you notice it in the harsh light of your work bathroom. Considering I’ve subjected myself to this embarrassment numerous times, I’ve started to keep a pair of nude Hanky Panky underwear in my bag. They’re rolled up small and are super comfortable–and if you’re anything like me, once you put them in there, you’ll never make the mistake again (funny how that works…).
6. Safety pins: So, your zipper ripped after that bagel at breakfast and you still have a whole work day to get through. What do you do? Safety pin it! If anyone asks, just tell them it’s a fashion statement.
7. Needle and thread: You’d be surprised at the number of times I’ve reached for this duo for a quick fix. Thank goodness number 13 is included, because I tend to be not great at things involving sharp objects.
8. Bobby pins: Bobby pins are the kind of thing you just can’t seem to find when you need them, but otherwise they’re filling up the bottom of your bag. To make sure I always have one (or five) on-hand to tame my curly hair, I keep a stash in my kit. Plus, everyone always asks for bobby pins, so it’s a great way to make friends.
9. Tide-to-go pen: The sanity saver of moms, sloppy girls and soup aficionados everywhere. Enough said.
10. Colgate Wisps: These amazing little do-dads are perfect for when you need to freshen up after lunch or before heading to an important meeting.
11. Clear nail polish: No emergency kit would be complete without clear nail polish. It is the triple threat of the bunch. Use it to stop a run in your tights, keep ends from fraying on clothes or even seal costume jewelry that’s leaving an unsightly tarnish on your skin.
12. Advil: You can’t look your best if you’re not feeling your best. I suffer from really, really terrible migraines, so having that medicine with me is always a must. In case I forget my prescription, I make sure to keep a few Advil pills in my kit–it works in a pinch!
13. Band aids: Blisters are the bane of my existence. I don’t think women should be penalized for wearing pretty shoes, so I don’t know why blisters insist on existing. I digress–the moral of the story is, always keep band aids on hand. Bonus points if they’re Cynthia Rowley!
Is there anything I’m missing? What do you always keep handy in case of an outfit emergency?